TOYS FOR TOTS
The Dan Ryan Woods at 8300 south Western Avenue, has been the starting point of The Parade since 1985.
It all started on
December 13, 1978
1978: Aminal, Puppy, Thor, Namu, Princess, and Mark-off planned the first TFT Parade. On December 13, 1978, Thor, Puppy and Aminal left from Fantasy Choppers on 2532 W. 63rd Street and ended at the Glenview Naval Air Station. There was only one motorcycle. Aminal originally was going to borrow a rigid-frame Triumph 250 but he couldn't get the bike started, so then he borrowed Puppy's Harley. The bike's chain broke, but to make it a true motorcycle parade, he had to get to the end. So he and Puppy held each other's arms, and got towed to the Naval Air Station.
1979: 50 riders joined Aminal, leaving from the Venture Inn on 79th street and ending at the Marine Center on Foster.
1980: 200 riders go from 79th Street Venture Inn to the Marine Center.
1981: 1500 riders. First year with a pin. Parade permit issued.
1982: Over 2000 riders start on 79th Street from the TNT Lounge.
1983: 2000 riders.
1984: More than 2000 riders.
This website is dedicated to the memory of TFT Parade Member Ed May
who created the first Parade website, with Jack Voss, in 1999.
This format was designed by Sharon Allen, and is now maintained by Jack Voss.
Copyright 2018. Chicagoland Toys For Tots Motorcycle Parade Org. All rights reserved.
THE PARADE 1978-1989
1985: The Dan Ryan Woods becomes the permanent starting point for the parade.
1986: About 3000 riders.
1987: About 3000 riders. Malcolm Forbes rides Elizabeth Taylor's "Purple Passion" Harley
1988: 4000 riders
1989: 5000 riders